After thumb surgery

My thumb surgery was this past Friday and seems to be a success, at least what I can tell of it.  Obviously there isn’t much to be seen as my wrist, thumb, and 2 fingers are bandaged up and immobilized.  There is a hard cast that is supporting my palm and wrist and is keeping my stitched-back-together thumb tendon in one place.  Thanks to the surgeon and the pain drugs I’ve been taking, I’m sure I’m on the road to recovery.  In the meantime I’m trying to do things with my left hand — a true exercise in patience and creativity.  Hopefully I will get the cast removed later this week and start physical therapy on my thumb to get it back and functioning before summer and the Minnesota fishing opener!  Until then I’ll be content to curl up with a good book and rely on my wonderful friends for their help and support.

10 thoughts on “After thumb surgery

1. Beth March 20, 2011 / 3:03 pm

Imagine the shadow animals you could make on a wall with your impressive cast and bandage—dinosaurs and fairy tale creatures for sure! Enjoy your down time, let others care for you, and we hope you spend countless hours dreaming of your next fishin’ adventure. Lots of Love! Kevin & Beth

• lindastaatsphoto March 21, 2011 / 5:47 pm

Love your creativity! When I hold my hand upright it reminds me of Sean Connery as James Bond, packing his pistol. Thanks for the well wishes.

2. joani March 20, 2011 / 5:08 pm

Opener!!!! Didn’t miss that for all of life. Sorry not to be there to help with dishes, laundry, changing sheets, etc,etc,etc. Do send my spirts and wishes.
    The texture of the “glove” is great. No autographs or selection of colors? Take your time and tis good to purge files. Yuk.
    Whatca gonia read?

• lindastaatsphoto March 21, 2011 / 5:53 pm

Thanks for the well wishes. My reading selection is great. Just finished a wonderful book by the noted Minnesotan Sigurd Olsen. And am now following Bill Bryson as he walks the Appalachian Trail in “A Walk in the Woods.”

3. Joan March 21, 2011 / 3:32 pm

and they even left two fingers free – I am sure they will help out a lot! How are you going to press the shutter button?? Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Does this qualify for getting out of going to work?

• lindastaatsphoto March 21, 2011 / 5:36 pm

Don’t know about that pesky shutter button…just hoping to get this cast off soon so I can maybe even feel the button! I suppose I can “rent” some fingers in the meantime…but I don’t think it’s serious enough to qualify for getting out of work, although I do think it qualifies for one-hand typing which is way slower than normal!

-Linda

4. Michael November 16, 2012 / 9:18 am

Hi Linda

I hope your EIP to EPL rehab went well and your thumb and fingers are back to normalcy. I thank you for writing about this.

I recently had EIP to EPL surgery (8/22/12) and just completed two months of therapy. The good news is that I have about 85% of ROM back. My only disconcerting issue is waking up with morning finger stiffness, in fact anytime I rest my fingers they become tight. I was wondering if you experienced the same symptoms. If so did it go away and how long did it take?

Thank so much.

Best regards,
    Michael

• lindastaatsphoto November 17, 2012 / 7:47 am

Congrats Michael for being on the other side of your surgery and therapy. Be patient and hopefully the morning stiffness will go away. I’ve been very fortunate that I really don’t notice any daily problems. Occasionally when the weather’s cold my thumb and finger will be stiff in the morning, but I run warm water over them and that helps tremendously to “wake” them up. I think I’ve gotten 100% ROM back; only problem I have is some minute dexterity issues but that’s so minor in the big scheme of things I don’t worry about it. Keep at it – it will only get better the further out from the surgery you get.

5. Michael November 17, 2012 / 9:59 am

Linda;

Thank you for your reply. Your comments have given me optimism. I did some research over the Internet and found an excellent explanation of scar tissue and its role in the healing process and the various stages.

Thanks so much…

Best regards,
    Michael

6. Linda G Marchand November 22, 2018 / 3:02 pm

Just found your info on your surgery. I just had the same surgery done last Friday so I’m just starting on my journey. Getting good at being a lefty! Just wondering how your doing now? My tendon was ruptured after my big Maine Coon bit the top of my wrist!