Purple and gold of spring

The season of spring is the season of color.  We come out of the white, silent world of winter and our senses are shocked by the abundance of colors.  Our grasses are green, the new leaves are starting to emerge, and the flowering trees are now taking their turns.  My eyes have been caught by the brilliant yellows and golds of the forsythia bushes that are now blooming.  And when I drove past an entire hillside of them glowing in the sun I knew I had to return.  But yesterday morning was cloudy and cold, with a gusty sharp wind that was keeping our temperatures in the 40’s.  As I drove over to the yellow hillside I wasn’t too terribly excited because of the conditions.  But what I found as I wandered around on the hill was a beautiful old redbud tree that has also responded to our early spring with buds of purple that were starting to emerge.  Those of you from Minnesota will know that the University’s colors are maroon and gold, and so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that this hillside of forsythia and this wonderful purple/maroon redbud was on the Saint Paul campus.  Do you suppose this is a coincidence?

8 thoughts on “Purple and gold of spring

1. nonoymanga April 1, 2012 / 9:24 pm

Photo turn into art. Thanks for sharing Nonoy Manga

• lindastaatsphoto April 2, 2012 / 7:27 am

Thank Nonoy – to me the simplest things are sometimes the most beautiful.

2. joani April 1, 2012 / 11:33 pm

I started my college life there. The “udder” campus. Again the simple things of beauty.

• lindastaatsphoto April 2, 2012 / 7:26 am

What a great place to start college. I love the campus, especially the horticultural garden. And it’s so cool having agricultural test plots right in the city! Ski-u-mah!

3. Margaret April 2, 2012 / 8:37 am

maroon. gold. Our color playbook says Fall. and yet – and yet here you have captured Spring. thanks for your vision.

• lindastaatsphoto April 3, 2012 / 8:55 pm

You are most certainly welcome, Margaret. But thanks first to you for your kind comments – they always bring a smile to my face.

4. Babe and a Blender April 2, 2012 / 12:49 pm

I have a red bud tree in my front yard. I love flowering trees:)

• lindastaatsphoto April 3, 2012 / 8:55 pm

Yes – I understand completely. I’m trying to figure out where I can put a redbud tree in my yard now!