An imposed change of plans

The past two weeks have humbled me quite unexpectedly.  I took a bad slip on a frozen sidewalk and landed on my right leg and ankle.  A ride with the EMT’s took me to the local trauma hospital’s emergency room and a set of x-rays were taken.  Turned out I’d dislocated the ankle and had a trimalleolar fracture with breaks in three bones.  Surgery was scheduled the next day and I came out with plates, screws, wires and lots of hardware holding all those bones together.  Yesterday the plaster splint was removed and I got to see the results of the good surgeon’s work.  Luckily the breaks are healing and the stitches on both sides of my ankle were removed.  I’m now in a boot keeping my ankle immobile, but I cannot put any weight on the foot.  I’ve learned many lessons in these two weeks and some that I’m still learning.  Patience and slowing down are essential now — I couldn’t rush to do anything if I wanted to.  I’m unable to put any weight on my right leg, so I’m reliant on the walker to give me the support I need when I’m upright.  Friends and family are wonderful — flowers, phone calls, text messages, gifts, food, and visits have all brightened my days and given me something else to focus on.  I appreciate our medical system, doctors, nurses, assistants, PCA’s, EMT’s — I’ve been treated and taken care of by people who were smart, experienced, knowledgeable, and kind.  People who saw to my comfort and needs as they were dealing with many other patients too.  Yes, I’m not happy with the broken leg and the distant horizon of the end of May before I can walk “normally.”   But the past two weeks have given me a different perspective on the things that I have taken for granted so many times in the past – something as simple as walking, getting outside to enjoy the fresh air, and the people who I am lucky enough to call family and friends.

8 thoughts on “An imposed change of plans

1. Home Email March 12, 2020 / 3:27 pm

Wow-you REALLY did up it up!! Glad things are going well and hope they continue to go well. Kathy

Sent from my iPad

• lindastaatsphoto March 12, 2020 / 6:15 pm

Thanks Kathy! Doing well so far…following doctor’s orders!

2. Robert Palmer March 12, 2020 / 3:45 pm

Linda, Sorry to hear about your bad fall.  You have always stayed so active that I know that you will be up on your feet soon!  Bob and Lyn Palmer

• lindastaatsphoto March 12, 2020 / 6:16 pm

Thanks Bob & Lyn – a bump in the road, but I’m headed in the right direction with lots of great help and good care!

3. Wendy Hufnagle March 12, 2020 / 8:10 pm

Linda,
    So sorry to hear about your nasty fall. Always nice to be surrounded by strong men but that’s not quite the way we want it to happen!
    Wishing you a speedy recovery so you can get back on that bicycle when the weather warms up. Sending healing (virus-free) thoughts from WA.
    Wendy

• lindastaatsphoto March 13, 2020 / 11:37 am

Thanks for the well-wishes Wendy. Keep well and safe in WA!

4. Sheri Hinds March 13, 2020 / 8:33 am

Linda-You have such an amazing positive outlook on life. I’m glad the worst is over and you are healing. Sending lots of love your way. -Sheri

• lindastaatsphoto March 13, 2020 / 11:38 am

Thanks so much Sheri! It’s amazing how we can adjust when we are forced to do so. Keep well and safe in your part of the world!