Autumn brights

Our cool nights and warm days earlier this week provided the perfect recipe for bright autumn colors.  With a blue sky and a sidelight provided by a rising sun, I knew this tree would be brilliant.  The colors were intense and the leaves that were already on the ground provided a subtle crunch as I walked around the grove of trees to frame this image.  What you don’t see is that I was right next to a busy street during morning rush hour, and I couldn’t help but wonder if the people passing by were aware of this brilliant display that Mother Nature was providing.  I hope they paused for a brief moment to appreciate the colors, to be aware of the smells of fall, and to know that it is all fleeting as winter will soon be on the heels of autumn.

6 thoughts on “Autumn brights

1. Doris Steeg October 7, 2012 / 1:44 pm

Hi Linda,

Great capture, reminds me of the day you and I spent in the cemetary photographing the colors. We are not colorful except on Yakima Ave in town and our dryness has let us have crunch! But the leaves are falling because the trees are so stressed from the dryness. We are doing well and enjoying all our sunshine even if the fire danger is high even in western WA. Great for tomatoes but nights are getting cool so have to protect them from freezing. Take care.

Doris

• lindastaatsphoto October 7, 2012 / 1:55 pm

Thanks Doris. Glad to hear you’re having some fall color there, in spite of the dryness. We had our first frost in the metro area last night; marked the end of our tomatoes for sure. But it’s a crisp fall day today with lots of blue sky & sunshine.

2. Mike October 7, 2012 / 1:45 pm

I like the colors.

• lindastaatsphoto October 7, 2012 / 1:56 pm

Thanks, Mike. It’s that time of year when you can’t help but notice the colors. And we appreciate them all the more knowing that soon our landscape will be barren and white.

3. joani October 7, 2012 / 7:27 pm

You gave a soft touch to this image. Select focus?

• lindastaatsphoto October 7, 2012 / 8:00 pm

You noticed, Joani! It’s a lensbaby. I’ve had it about a year and really love it. Gives a great focus point and selective blur to an image.